Monday 2 October 2017

5 Minutes with Prof. Jerry Mendel


5 Minutes with Prof. Jerry Mendel

IEEE CIS Student Activities Subcommittee invites you to get to know the pioneers and experts in the Computational Intelligence. This month "5 minutes with..." focuses on pioneer Prof. Jerry Mendel.
  1. What is your title, full name, and place of work?
    Professor of Electrical Engineering (I will be Emeritus as of January 5, 2018), Jerry Marc Mendel, University of Southern California
  2. What grade of member in CIS are you?
    Life Fellow
  3. How long have you been a member of CIS?
    For as long as the CIS has existed.
  4. One reason why you are a member of CIS:
    My research interests match its coverage perfectly.
  5. What was your service pathway in the Computational Intelligence Society?
    My recollection is that it began with organizing sessions at FUZZ-IEEE, becoming a member and then Chair of the Fuzzy Systems TC, and then being asked to run for the AdCOM. I did and was very privileged to have served on it for 9 years. Meeting and being able to interact with AdCom members was a truly wonderful experience for me. My most fun project was being Chair of the committee that created and ran the first CIS competition to produce a short video that explained fuzzy sets and systems. We had two winners.
  6. Give one interesting fact about yourself:
    I am an avid Bridge player having played now for more than 55 years. I also read a lot of Bridge books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.