Spiking Neural Networks (SNN) are a rapidly emerging means of neural information processing, drawing inspiration from the brain processes. They have the potential to advance technologies and techniques in fields as diverse as medicine, finance, computing, and indeed any field that involves complex temporal or spatiotemporal data. SNN, as the third generation of neural networks, can operate on noisy data, in changing environments at low power and with high effectiveness. Due to their basis in biological neural networks, SNN research is strongly positioned to benefit from advances made in the fields of molecular, evolutionary and cognitive neuroscience. There is presently considerable interest in this topic. We believe that this area is quickly establishing itself as an effective alternative to traditional machine learning technologies, and the interest in this area of research is growing rapidly.
The aim of this special session is to bring together research works of contemporary areas of SNN, including theoretical, computational, application-oriented, experimental studies, and emerging technologies such as neuromorphic hardware. This special session invites researchers to present state-of-the-art approaches, recent advances and the potential of SNN.
The topics relevant to this special session include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Theory of SNN
- Learning algorithms for SNN, including Deep Learning
- Computation with and within SNN
- Theory or practice in biologically-plausible neural simulation or biomimetic models
- Big data and stream data processing in SNN
- Multiple sensor networks data processing in SNN
- Neuromorphic hardware systems and applications
- Optimization of SNN
- SNN models of cognitive development
- Information encoding for SNN
- SNN applications in neuroinformatics, bioinformatics, medicine and ecology.
- SNN in BCI
- SNN in neuro-robotic
- Any other topics relating to SNN, their theory, or applications.
Paper Submission Deadline: January 15, 2018
Paper acceptance notification date: March 15, 2018
Final paper submission deadline: May 1, 2018
Conference: July 08-13, 2018
Please follow the regular submission guidelines of WCCI 2018. Please notify the chairs of your submission by sending an email to:
Professor Nikola Kasabov (), Dr Elisa Capecci (), Maryam Doborjeh ().
SNN Special Session page:
On behalf of the organizers
Professor Nikola Kasabov firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Elisa Capecci ecapecci email@example.com
Maryam Doborjeh firstname.lastname@example.org
Zohreh Gholami email@example.com